The team at Myer Street Dental understands the concerns surrounding dental visits. In Australia, a significant portion of the population—approximately one-third—avoids regular dental visits due to dental fear and anxiety. Unfortunately, this often results in the development of more serious oral conditions that could have been prevented through routine check-ups and cleanings.
Guided Biofilm Therapy is a groundbreaking approach that revolutionises plaque removal, reducing the need for traditional ultrasonic or manual scalers during teeth cleaning treatments for the whole family.
Developed in Switzerland, the Airflow® system is at the forefront of this revolutionary technique. It projects a controlled stream of warm water (heated to 40 degrees Celsius), air, and fine powder onto both the tooth surfaces and hard-to-reach areas.
While the use of ultrasonic or manual instruments is still necessary to remove tartar deposits from the teeth at the end of the procedure, the duration is significantly shorter. In some cases, not every tooth requires the use of these instruments, making the overall process more efficient. Moreover, this method effectively eliminates food particles, plaque, as well as the discoloration and stains caused by red wine, coffee, and nicotine.
What to Expect During the Process at Myer Street Dental Clinic
- Initial Examination and Preparation: At the beginning of your appointment, we will perform a comprehensive examination and detailed assessment of your gum health in preparation for your treatment.
- Tri Plaque Identification Gel: Once the assessment is completed, we will begin your personalised treatment. We apply a tri plaque identification gel, which serves a dual purpose. Firstly, it helps us identify the areas that require thorough cleaning. Secondly, it offers you a visual overview of the effectiveness of your brushing technique, allowing us to tailor oral hygiene instructions to maintain optimal gum health.
- Airflow®Cleaning: Following the oral hygiene instructions, we proceed with the clean using the Airflow® machine. The Airflow® technique resembles a pressure washer, efficiently removing soft plaque, also known as biofilm. This advanced method eliminates the need for traditional prophylaxis techniques involving handpieces, rubber cups, or gritty paste. Notably, the water used is warmed to 40℃, providing heightened comfort for patients, particularly those with sensitivity concerns.
- Coloured Dye Staining: Guided Biofilm Therapy incorporates the use of a harmless, coloured dye that physically stains bacteria. This visual aid serves a dual purpose. It facilitates patient education by demonstrating the presence of plaque or dental biofilm. Simultaneously, it serves as a clear guide for our dental hygienists to ensure the effective removal of all biofilm.
A Breakthrough for Dental Anxiety Sufferers in Geelong
While we recommend Airflow® Guided Biofilm Therapy for all patients, it particularly benefits individuals who experience discomfort during traditional teeth cleanings, have sensitive teeth, or suffer from dental anxiety.
Guided Biofilm Therapy offers a more effective and comfortable approach to dental plaque (biofilm) removal, significantly reducing the need for traditional ultrasonic or manual instruments during teeth cleaning procedures. This method ensures minimal direct contact with dental instruments, resulting in a more pleasant experience for patients.
The Airflow® system also sets the gold standard in maintenance for patients with dental implants or those undergoing orthodontic treatment. Its handpiece enables easier access to tight spaces without direct contact with teeth or gums.
The Airflow® Difference:
- Minimal direct contact with dental instruments; the Airflow® ONE handpiece avoids direct contact with your teeth or gums.
- Elimination of drilling noise.
- Enhanced comfort, with no pain or discomfort.
- Reduced or eliminated teeth sensitivity.
- Utilisation of warm water for maximum comfort.
- Potential softening of calculus (tartar), reducing the duration of manual or ultrasonic scaling.
Advantages of the Airflow® System:
- Superior removal of surface stains (such as tea, coffee, red wine, and tobacco) compared to traditional cleaning methods.
- More effective elimination of plaque (biofilm) compared to traditional cleaning and prophylaxis techniques.
- Elimination of prophylaxis with handpieces, rubber cups/brushes, and gritty paste.
- Enhanced comfort for patients with sensitive teeth, as the water is heated to 40 degrees Celsius.
- Significant reduction in the need for traditional ultrasonic or manual instruments during teeth cleaning procedures.
- Heightened comfort for all patients.
Experience the Difference in Family Dental Care
At Myer Street Dental, we are dedicated to providing our patients with the most advanced dental care. Guided Biofilm Therapy using the Airflow® system offers a more efficient and comfortable solution for plaque removal, minimising direct contact with dental instruments and enhancing patient comfort.
We are dedicated to delivering exceptional dental care in a comforting environment, placing a strong emphasis on meeting the unique needs and concerns of every individual. Our goal is to be recognized as a reputable team that prioritises outstanding dental care for the entire family.
To learn more or to make an appointment, please contact Myer Street Dental Clinic.
Our professional team is available to provide further information and personalised guidance. Take the first step towards optimal oral health by discovering the benefits of the Airflow® system today.